Nigerian student allegedly dies at soap-making factory in Ibadan
Gbadebo Richard, a 300-level student of the Department of European Studies, Faculty of Arts, University of Ibadan reportedly died on Tuesday July 28 in an industrial accident.
According to Sahara Reporters, the student who was on a night shift, fell into one of the machines at the Oluyole factory of Henkel Nigeria Limited, producers of WAW detergent and soap.
His colleagues were reportedly not aware of the accident until they saw blood on one end of the machine.
A source said told the publication;
“His family members were not informed by the company until an unknown number called them. So they mobilised to the company and blocked the road, about 30 police officers were called in to prevent disturbance.
“An ambulance later came and Richard’s father was allowed into the building. He later went with the body, packed in a plastic bag in the ambulance to the morgue at Teju Hospital without any of the staff of the factory.”
A broadcast signed by President and Public Relations Officer of the faculty of Arts, University of Ibadan read;
“It’s completely disheartening to announce the death of Mr Gbadebo Richard (300-level student) from the Department of European Studies, Faculty of Arts, University of Ibadan.
“Your fervor to become greater in life was cut short by your sudden death. Team Evolution uses this medium to sympathise with the family of our late Afasite who was active, effective and diligent in studies. We pray that God be with the family and wipe out similar occurrence.”