Trial of cosmetics surgeon Dr. Anu hindered due to Judge’s absence in court

The trial of cosmetic surgeon whose client died, Dr. Anu Adepoju was hindered after the trial Judge, Justice Mohammed Liman was absent in court yesterday, July 9 at the Federal High Court in Lagos.

Dr Anu of Med Contour, was dragged to court by the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission FCCPC over the death of one of her clients, shunning summons by the agency to appear and produce certain documents among other offenses.

She was earlier arrested and charged to court for the first time last Friday, July 3 on a five-count charge.

Trial of Dr. Anu became important after so many Nigerians took to Instagram where Med Contour has a social media presence and expressed concerns over the death of her patient.

presence and expressed concerns over the death of her patient.

Legal counsel to FCCPC, Babatunde Irukera, said it received complaints against Dr. Anu from one Marlene Oluwakemi, Taiwo Temilade, and Vivian Onwuzuligbo that Dr. Anu’s services “are unsafe for consumers,” and that she made “false, misleading and deceptive representation in relation to the marketing of their services.”

He said, “In particular, the above-mentioned Vivian Onwuzuligbo, a member of the Mrs Nnneka Miriam Barbara Onwuzuligbo (now deceased) alleged that the deceased died as a result of the failed defendants’ cosmetic surgery and she is privy to the events that led to the demise of the deceased.”part of the court document reads.

The incidents reportedly happened at No. 11a Ladi Alakija Street, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos between April 15 and May 4, 2020. The counsel argued that Dr. Anu’s conduct is contrary to sections 33(3)(a) and 113(4)(a) of the FCCPC Act 2018 and was liable to be punished under sections 33(3) and 113(1) of the same Act, among others.

The surgeon pleaded not guilty to the five counts and was thereafter granted bail.

The case was adjourned to Thursday July 9 for commencement of trial.


However, owing to the absence of the judge, the court’s registrar said the case had been adjourned till a date yet to be fixed.